Older Adult and Senior Counseling Services | Jewish Family and Children’s Service of Greater Philadelphia
Older Adults

Frequently Asked Questions

for seniors and older adults



Click on the arrow to view the answer.

Is there a cost for your service?
There is a fee for services based on a person’s ability to pay. An income and expense assessment is done during the intake process which will then determine “ability to pay.” There is a sliding fee scale based on neede and we do accept Medicare.
How does someone get connected to JFCS services?
We have highly trained intake social workers who answer phone calls and emails daily from 9-5. If your call is not answered immediately, please leave a message and someone will
return your call within two business days. Please note/keep in mind that sometimes call volumes are high or our offices are closed during special holiday periods.
How long does it take to get connected to a social worker?
Our intake social worker typically responds to your call or email within two business days, although sometimes call volumes are high or our offices are closed during special holiday periods-please keep this in mind when you call.
Do I need to be Jewish to receive services?
No. All of our programs are nondenominational.
What types of services do you offer?

We offer the following services:

Care Management – assistance with linkage to benefits and resources, life skills coaching and supports in home or in community settings to assist with transition to adulthood, independent living, and for establishing a quality of life to the individual’s determination.

Counseling – individual, couples, family counseling as well as support groups.

Social Groups – social thinking, social skills and fun recreational, educational, and cultural outings and community service activities to build community.

Education – workshops to assist with self-advocacy, assertiveness, healthy lifestyles, cooking, money management, estate planning, special education law, and more.

We also offer volunteer opportunities, LGBTQ, rabbinical, and spiritual supports. All of these service areas are described in detail by clicking on the tabs on the left-hand side of this

What happens when I meet with a social worker?

Our social worker will meet with you in order to get to know you and learn about your goals and passions. She/he will learn about the needs you have and work with you to develop
a customized care plan. She/he will help you carry out your plan, navigate programs and systems, and will also assist you in advocating for yourself in order to help you reach your

What is the geographic area you serve?
We serve the Greater Philadelphia, five-county area, which includes Philadelphia, Montgomery, Bucks, Delaware, and Chester Counties.
Where do visits take place?
We provide services in any of JFCS’s branch locations: Center City Philadelphia, Northeast Philadelphia, and Elkins Park (Eastern Montgomery County). In addition, our professionals
provide in-home visits as well as supportive visits in community settings (accompany people to doctor’s appointments, look for volunteer and employment opportunities, learn bus
routes, and more)
What type of training do your social workers have?
The entire team of the Center for Special Needs is comprised of Master’s-prepared professionals. Most of our team members also have additional clinical licensure in the state of
Pennsylvania or NJ.